Home/Support/Support Forum/RealPort COM port on VM (Virtual Machine)
New and improved user forum site coming soon
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

RealPort COM port on VM (Virtual Machine)

0 votes

I have an EtherLite 80 that I am having some issues with. I know that Digi does show that some customers have reported success with virtual environments, but I seem to have a strange situation and was wondering if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction to further do some testing.

I have a server running Windows Server 2012 with multiple virtual machines on the server. I have created a Virtual machine running server 2008 SP2 Standard 32-bit. I have installed the Realport driver on this system and connected a serial device to the Etherlite. It seems to be intermittent, but I get communication errors reporting that the device is not connected. What I did then was removed the device from the Etherlite and started using a Digi One SP, which works perfectly without any communication issues.

I put in a loopback connector into the etherlite device and started to run a scheduled task that simply opens the serial port, writes out the date and time, then reads that information, if for any reason the open, write or read does not succeed, I write out the date and time to a text file. I let this run for sometime on the virtual machine and it seems to work about 98% of the time, the remaining 2% of the time I must be getting some sort of timeout issue on the port for whatever reason.

If I run the same scheduled task on a physical machine running windows 7 pro connected to the same etherlite device, it works no problem. I have also tested the same thing with a VM environment running windows 7 pro with about the same percentage of failure rate (96.5%) as the server 2008 VM.

Does anyone have any similar results with an etherlite device running on a VM? I dont get how the Digi One SP can work flawlessly, and the etherlite doesnt.

Any suggestions for me to test?


P.S. my com port test script is a simple powershell script as follows:
$err=$FALSE $startPort=13; $endPort=13; for($i=$startPort; $i -le $endPort; $i++) { $comNo="COM"+$i $port=new-Object System.IO.Ports.SerialPort $comNo,9600,None,8,one $port.ReadTimeout=1000 try { $port.open() $date=Get-Date $port.WriteLine($date) $val=$port.ReadLine() } catch { $err=$TRUE $date=Get-Date $ln = $comNo + " Port Failed at " + $date $ln | Out-File C:\ComFailures.txt -append } $port.Close() } if(!$err) { $date=Get-Date "No Errors at " + $date | Out-File C:\ComFailures.txt -append }

As you can see it simple loops through ports noted by startport and endport and attempts to open/write/read/close to the COM port(s). Writing out if there are failures or not
asked May 20, 2015 in Etherlite by harvestmeats New to the Community (1 point)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
Still looking (and testing) for a resolution to this problem. Has anyone else tried this? is anyone able to try this out and let me know the results?

Just about to try it on an older physical server running Server 2008, but on a VM also running Server 2008

answered Jun 22, 2015 by harvestmeats New to the Community (1 point)